Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:18:21 EDT
From: Elysium25@aol.com (Jacquelyn)
Subject: 40 Things That You Should Know
40 Things That You Should Know
1. Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.
2. Pearls melt in vinegar
3. It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year’s supply of footballs.
4. Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
5. The 3 most valuable brand names on earth: MARLBORO, COCA-COLA, and BUDWEISER, in
6. It’s possible to lead a cow upstairs. . .but not downstairs.
7. Humans are the only primates that don’t have pigment in the palms of their hands.
8. Ten percent of the Russian government’s income comes from the sale of vodka.
9. The sentence “The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog,” uses every letter in the alphabet.
(Developed by Western Union to telex/two communications)
10. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating a letter is uncopyrightable.
11. Stewardesses’ is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
12. No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, and purple.
13. “I am” is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
14. Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.
15. A duck’s quack doesn’t echo, and no one knows why.
16. The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were
pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up
17. The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the “American Pie,” (thus the name of the Don McLean
18. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.
Spades – King David
Clubs – Alexander the Great
Hearts – Charlemagne
Diamonds – Julius Caesar
19. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
20. Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to
burn their houses down-hence the expression “To get fired,”
21. Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles
Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn’t added until 5 years
22. Hershey’s Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it’s kissing the
23. An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
24. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.
25. The name Jeep came from the abbreviation used in the army for the “General Purpose” vehicle,
26. The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.
27. Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
28. If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest
amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
29. No NFL team which plays its home games in a domed stadium has ever won a Super bowl. Until
this year – the ST. LOUIS RAMS won!
30. The only two days of the year in which there are no professional sports games (MLB, NBA, NHL,
or NFL) are the day before and the day after the Major League All Star Game.
31. The mask used by Michael Myers in the original “Halloween” movie was actually a Captain Kirk
mask painted white.
32. If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the
33. Snails can sleep for 3 years without eating.
34. Actor Tommy Lee Jones and vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.
35. The fingerprints of Koala Bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so
that they could be confused at a crime scene.
36. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a “Friday the 13th,”
37. James Doohan, who plays Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott (Scotty) on Star Trek, is missing the
entire middle finger on his right hand (lost it on D-day)
38. The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These
straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.
39. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
40. All of the clocks in the movie “Pulp Fiction” are stuck on 4:20.